Today I’m sharing a Mickey Mouse Stained Glass Suncatcher Tutorial for you! I’ve included a free printable template you can download to use as a guideline for creating the Mickey Mouse Suncatcher! This suncatcher is inspired by the Classic Mickey in honor of his milestone 90th Birthday!
This tutorial is for crafters who have experience working with stained glass OR if you are a beginner, make sure you are working with someone who has experience with stained glass.
It All Started With A Mouse
“I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse.”Walt Disney
The mouse that started Walt Disney’s entertainment empire, a company I hands-down love, is celebrating a big milestone birthday this year. Ninty years, this little fella has brought joy to so many children and kids-at-heart all around the world for decades.
The big Day is November 18th, but is Disney kicking off the celebration with Mickey’s 90 Spectacular airing November 4 on ABC. And the celebrations don’t stop there. Disney Theme Parks are planning major events to celebrate their star of the show! And they are collaborating with many brands to commemorate this iconic mouse allowing Disney lovers, like myself, to celebrate our favorite mouse at home.
Crafting the True Original
Since Disney has been a major part of life, I knew I wanted to create something I could appreciate for many years to come in honor of Mickey’s milestone 90th birthday. I decided to create a stained glass suncatcher that can hang in a window display and let the sun and the happiness shine through for many years to come!
I am a novice to stained glass making but luckily my Dad is stained glass hobbyist so I had plenty of help creating this Mickey stained glass piece!
I’ve created four templates of the classic Mickey to help you make your own Mickey stained glass suncatcher.
Once you’ve downloaded and printed the template, gather all the tools and materials listed below and then you’ll be ready to follow the step-by-step instructions!
Happy crafting and happy celebrating friends!
Tools and Materials
- In case you haven’t already done so, Download this pdf of the images above to serve as a guide and stencil for this Mickey Mouse Stained Glass Suncatcher. I found this this image of classic Mickey here and decided to crop Mickey from the bottoms up and have his ears pop out of the circle, but it’s just a personal preference so feel free to customize any way you like to!
- Glass Cutter
- Glass (If you are making the same Mickey pattern as me, you’ll need: red, clear, black, white, and off-white colored glass)
- Scissors/ and or Pattern Sheers
- Cutting Oil (or 3-in-1 oil)
- Copper Foil Tape
- Plastic Fid
- 60/40 Tin/lead Solder
- Double Stick Tape
- Waffle Grid- Plastic surface for glass cutting (optional)
- Breaking & Grozing Pliers
- Soldering Iron
- Glass Grinder (optional)
- Gather tools and materials.
2. Using the downloaded pdf pictures, you can add any addition lines you see fit to make the cutting glass easier for you.
3. Number all the pieces on the paper. You can also add color abbreviations to the pieces just as a reminder where each colored piece will fit. Then make a copy of the project to help with assembly later on and set that copy aside.
4. Cut out all the pieces with pattern shears. If you are using standard scissors, make sure you cut inside of the lines instead of the outside or right on the lines. Once all paper pieces have been cut out, I suggest organizing peces by color.
5. Get ready, for this is where the magic truly begins! Using double sided tape place 1 paper pattern piece on top of the glass. You can trace around it or you can start cutting using your glass cutter. Be sure your glass cutter has been dipped in glass cutting oil. The oil helps the glass break. Use your breaking pliers, to break the glass. I recommend cutting all those pieces from the matching color glass, ie. cutting all the black pieces, then move onto cutting all the red glass pieces,etc. This made it a lot easier for me to handle than constantly switching back and forth between the various colored glasses.
6. Grind all edges of glass using the glass grinder if you have one. You can also use Alundum stone to grind the glass pieces, this will provide a smooth surface for when you apply your copper foil.
7. Lay all the patterned pieces of glass on that copy of the pattern we made earlier to check for fitting. Make any adjustments to pieces and also make sure there is a little space between the pieces to allow for soldering.
8. Make sure glass is free of any cutting oil then apply copper foil tape to each and every glass piece. Smooth the foil tape with plastic fid.
9. Lay out those newly foiled glass pieces on a wood surface, making sure you place the pieces to match the design to be ready to set in place with the solder.
10. Apply solder flux to copper foil on glass.
11. Use soldering iron to solder project starting from the center of the project working outward. You can solder multiple intersections first to help maintain shape of the design. Then you can fill in the rest to complete soldering of the front side of the design. Once it is cooled off a bit, flip the design over to the backside and solder that side as well using the same method as the front.
12. Once you are finished with the soldering the design, solder hangers in appropriate place on project. I added two little circle hangers at the top of the project. Then allow your project to cool.
13. Clean project, with glass cleaner or dish detergent, dry and then you’re ready to hang this cute Mickey Mouse suncatcher wherever you please!
For my first stained glass piece, I believe he turned out wonderfully! All thanks to the help of my Dad! I’m so excited to hang him up to celebrate his birthday and the best part is I can cherish his sweet spirit year round for many years to come! There’s nothing better than homemade treasures you created with some special meaning behind them! Thank you Walt and Mickey for spreading happiness and joy to my life and those all around the world.
If you’re interested in a simpler suncatcher crafting experience for ALL members of your family, I’ll be sharing how to make easy suncatchers made from mason jar lids and coloring pages in the next few days perfect for celebrating Mickey’s Birthday. So stay tuned for more Mickey Mouse chatter!
How else will you celebrate Mickey’s 90th Birthday?! Find me on the Gram @downhomeonmainstreet and let me know!
It would be amazeballs if you shared the image below to Pinterest so that your fellow Disney friends can make one too!